Shame on The Courant for allowing a comedian from East Hampton to ridicule the city of New Britain. In the Caption Contest of June 3, the cartoon shows two people sitting on a bench, waiting for a bus, wondering “Once we get to New Britain what do we do?”
I am sure all 26 or so elected officials, and the scores of appointed officials from New Britain have already written The Courant, defending the city’s honor and objecting to this low-brow sense of humor. I would, however, suggest the following:
1. Visit the American Museum of American Art (the oldest and perhaps the best museum of American art in the country).
2. Enjoy a Class AA Rock Cats baseball game at New Britain Stadium (you will probably see a future Major Leaguer). As an enticement, I am sure I can arrange to get you a free bag of peanuts.
3. Visit New Britain s Industrial Museum. You will learn that New Britain was known as the Hardware City of the World. In fact, you probably have at least one Stanley tool in your home!
4. Enjoy a concert by the New Britain Symphony Orchestra.
5. Stop by the admission’s office at Central Connecticut State University; perhaps you can make arrangements to get your G.E.D. there.
6. Take in a play presented by the Repertory Theater of New Britain.
Oh yes, a question: The contest winner’s hometown, East Hampton, is known for what?