An Important Safety Message from Mayor Tim O’Brien
Dear New Britain resident,
Ø Hurricane Sandy is approaching Connecticut. This is a large, dangerous storm that will impact New Britain, for a period of 24 to 36 hours beginning Monday.
Please be advised of the following:
Ø New Britain, is expecting high winds of 40 – 60 MPH and heavy rain.
Ø Downed trees, power outages and flooding are expected with this storm.
· Due to this storm, all public and private schools will be closed on Monday and Tuesday.
· There will be no trash or recycling collection for Tuesday morning pick-up.
· The Senior Citizen Center on Pearl St. will open Monday morning at 8 am as a shelter.
Please do these things today:
• Bring inside all lawn furniture, cooking grills and trash bins.
• Be prepared to be self-sufficient in your home for 72 hours.
• Have food, water, flashlights and a battery operated radio available.
• Charge all cell phones.
• Check on elderly and at risk neighbors and relatives.
• Stay informed, listen to storm information, and please take action now.
Please remember these things for your families’ safety:
• Do not use candles for lighting, use flashlights.
• Do not use propane or charcoal grills indoors for any reason.
• Stay away from downed power lines.
• Call 860-826-3000, to report fallen trees, fallen wires and flooding.
• Call 9-1-1 for police, fire and medical emergencies.
Updates will continue to be available at www.newbritainct.gov as the city continues our work for you during the storm.
Posted at Mayor Tim O’Brien’s Blog